Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wholeness

After going to the Torrey Conference I felt that it taught me how a relationship between and man and a women should really be. One conference that I really enjoyed and that stood out to me was called "Dateology" taught by Dave White. This conference was all about how a healthy relationship should be between a man and a woman. It talked about how God should be the center of our relationships and how to keep that as our main focus. The one thing he talked about that stood out to me the most was when he shared the importance of being a whole individual.

I thought Dave did such an amazing job explaining to students the importance of being whole in a relationship. Especially with society these days saying that in a relationship people complete each other and become whole when they come together when that is not how a healthy relationship should be. I read an article about relationships on this website called SHCS and the article was called “Someday My Prince Will Come”. In the article it says, “Distinguishing the difference between fantasy partners and relationships and reality seems to becoming increasingly difficult”. I found this to be so true. Media gives us this false perception of how relationships should be today. It tells us that prince charming is waiting to sweep us off our feet; we just have to seek and find him, when in fact that is not the case. This quote reminded me of something that Dave also touched up on. He said that we should not go look for a relationship in desperation; it should be from a place of wholeness.

             I think these days many relationships are sought out in desperation. People think that if they find that special someone it will make them complete and Dave made it very clear that that is not the case. I found this website called, “How to Find a Husband or Wife”, and it gives seven steps to finding a mate. When I found this website it really disturbed me. It gave the most ridiculous advice. One thing that it says that did not settle well with me was, “Go where men and women are! Women, go to baseball games where you will find a high concentration of men”. I thought this advice was horrible. It is telling women to go out and seek a man when it should be allowed to happen on its own and not sought after in desperation.

I thought everything Dave White talked about was so meaningful. He showed everyone listening the importance of being whole individuals that are strong in God and content in ourselves before we get into a relationship with someone else. Everything that Dave talked about, I think, really showed what a Godly and fulfilling relationship should be like and that was something that society does not show us today and I personally, greatly appreciated Dave’s honest and Godly input of what a relationship should be.

 

 

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow! I'm bummed I missed out on the Dateology session. I was unable to make it but it sounds super interesting! I agree with you. Dating should be something that happens out of wholeness and it shouldn't be something that people have to desperately search for. This blog was very well written and I really enjoyed reading it, especially because I didn't attend that session.

Jennifer Martin said...

I completely agree with you! The SHCS article is a great representation of the lies that the media is feeding singles: that finding a mate will get rid of any loneliness or depression a single person may be feeling. It is so sad to see women frantically searching for their "princes," who will never live up to the unrealistic expectations that many women have for their mates.
I really enjoyed the articles that you referred to! Thoughtful and interesting post.